Sunday, 2 August 2026

Comic Con Manchester '26 Part 1

SoCalVal with Jamie Bigg

 

“My favourite film is Commando,” says Jamie Bigg, Giant from Gladiators. “Bill Duke is just over there! I’m a big Superman and Batman fan.” 

Giant is the first guest on stage at Comic Con Manchester. It’s the 25th July and Bowlers Exhibition Centre is packed with actors (including Duke who played Cook in Commando and Mac in Predator), cosplayers, movie fans and comic stalls. Compare SoCalVal kicks off the proceedings asking Bigg about his journey into the Gladiators reboot of the 90s TV show. 

JB: I always was a big guy. I watched Gladiators back in the day. To play the character being a superhero. 

SCV: What are the differences with the new Gladiators? 

JB: I’m a big guy. We see that in the old show but Gladiators now are more 360. They’re more all round athletes. When I was a bodybuilder I was eating 10k calories per day. To maintain a physique you need to stretch, stay all-round healthy. 

SCV: What’s your favourite cheat meal? 

JB: Large Papa Johns Pepperoni Passion with barbecue sauce, and for dessert apple crumble with custard. 

SCV: Who do you get on with? 

JB: Legend. 

The mic is passed out to the audience, where a kid asks about his favourite Gladiators event. Giant’s a big Duel fan. 

JB: It’s a high pressure game. I don’t like heights, but due to the fear factor, the adrenaline meaning you have to jump off safely. Why would I do that?! 

Another child asks, what’s the worst day you ever had? 

JB: When they brought in Duel! You have to fall off backwards! 

CHILD AQ: What’s your favourite thing about wrestling? 

JB: The music. Shawn Michaels walking out. The special moves, and how exciting they were. I love Hulk Hogan

SCV: Why not present your own travel show? Is there anywhere you’ve not been? 

JB: I’d love to see Thailand. 

Next comes a question about social media. 

JB: It can take over your life. You wake up and reach for your phone. I’m trying to be productive with it, spending time with family instead. Something in moderation is good, but it can take over your whole life. 

Hmm. Try being a blogger, Jamie. 

SCV: Gladiators is a comfort show for many. What’s yours? 

JB: Suits. I’m in season 8. Also Game of Thrones, and I loved (Superman spin-off) Smallville. 

SCV: We’ve had the cast here. 

JB: Chris Reeves is the all time favourite Superman. And Henry Cavill…. I’m a straight guy, but what a gorgeous man. 

AQ: Wolf was always my favourite Gladiator. Who was yours? 

JB: Wolf is 70 now! He’s doing great for his age. Hunter was my favourite, physically, and he was a nice guy. 

SCV: Any actors that inspire you? 

JB: Arnie. Not just his films and bodybuilding, but in terms of believing you can do something. 

SCV: What’s next? 

JB: I’d love to be here tomorrow but I’m at an event in Stoke. I’ve got more travel; I’ve never been to Amsterdam. I’m 41 next month; it’s gonna be great. There’ll be things with wrestling; I’m going to speak on mental health - I have a speech I’m passionate about. I’m gonna use social media to promote men’s mental health and prevent suicide. SCV: What do you want to accomplish? JB: I’d try reality TV like I’m a Celebrity. I want a lot of challenges like lack of food. 


 Carrie Henn is next to the stage: Newt from 1986’s Aliens. 

CH: 40 years later, it’s great to see fans. I don’t watch Aliens back. I don’t like to do that. I was 9 when filming, 10 when it came out. 

SCV: How did the part come to you? 

CH: Dad was in the Air Force. They couldn’t find a person in the US. Dad was over in the UK and had no clue what what the part entailed. It just fell into my lap. I had no clue whatsoever how big it would be. Then a few years ago a guy invited me to a con in London. 

SCV: What was the release like? Did people spot you? 

CH: I moved towns just as the film came out. Most girls at 10 aren’t always nice. 

SCV: Any pearls of wisdom for getting into entertainment? 

CH: Not really. 

Okaaaay… 

SCV: I was looking at your Saturn Award. Congratulations! How did that come about? 

CH: I got my Saturn Award in ‘87. James Cameron was there. He’s hard but amazing.

 

The mic goes out to the audience. 

AQ: Do you ever get spotted now you’re a teacher? 

CH: Sometimes people bring stuff to sign, but not that often. I’m just their teacher. 

AQ: What was acting like with Sigourney Weaver? 

CH: I had Velcro shoes, and she kept taking them off. She just cut the shoes off in the end. 

SCV: What franchises speak to you at Comic Con? 

CH: I don’t want to have to think when I watch TV. Rom-coms. My kids are fans of Harry Potter and Star Wars. 

AQ: Who’s you’re favourite marine? (in Aliens) 

CH: Hudson. He saved me a few times. 

SCV: What’s your favourite romcom? 

CH: Clueless, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, that’s what I watched on the first date I went on with my husband. 

SCV: Any places you’d like to go? 

CH: England. I lived here from ages 2-10. My mom’s British. But I’m a Liverpool fan. They’re my team. 

SCV: Did you enjoy the World Cup? 

CH: We did have a good time: the Scottish drinking us dry was fun. (Henn resides in Atwater California.) There was one guy, an American, who started a GoFundMe so he could stay. 

SCV: Are you a ranch fan? People were taking it home! 

CH: It’s okay. The chocolate isn’t the same. I love it here. 

SCV: What’s next? 

CH: We broke up beginning of June. I’m taking my daughter back to Florida. When I filmed Aliens I was in 4th grade. It’s the only school photo I don’t have. Now I teach that grade.

Carrie Henn

Trader hall



No comments:

Post a Comment