Monday 21 November 2011

The Tale of Jimbob, the Thirty-Year-Old Jelly Baby

Pic Courtesy Dannymx, Flickr





The following is a short audio play I wrote and produced for my GNVQ Media course circa 1999. This week I dug out the script and polished it up. I've made only minor grammar adjustments. It's just for fun. What do you think?



JIMBOB (Narration)
What's your earliest memory? Is it from when you were a baby? Mine is. Come to think of it, so's my second. And third. In fact, my memory of yesterday's breakfast is from this time. It's not like I haven't aged, I just haven't ever put on weight in any shape or form from birth. Until recently, I had only a few wispy ideas as to why.

SOUND OF MOTORBIKE STOPPING

JIMBOB (Narration)
Stepping off my tailor-made Harley Davidson, dressed in my protective leather pants and jacket, I looked up at the old converted Victorian warehouse known locally as Affleck's Temple. The name “Temple” arose partly because of the stone columns in front of the building and also because of the high regard locals held for this shop in its former days of glory. I was hoping that my curiosity of this shop would be satisfied, as I had heard many odd rumours about this place.

I checked my 30 centimetre appearance in the mirrored door. Tucking my t-shirt in tight, I stepped inside.

SOUND OF DOOR OPENING WITH A CHIME. WE ARE NOW INSIDE THIS SHOP. WE CAN HEAR SOME BACKGROUND MUSIC, POSSIBLY SON OF A PREACHERMAN.

JIMBOB (Narration)
I was expecting the usual gob-smacked look of disbelief which I have tolerated for thirty years, but the only other person in the building, a thin pale man with long dark hair seemed about as shocked as a sleeping gorilla.

MR STONED
Morning.

JIMBOB (Taken aback)
M-morning.

JIMBOB (Narration)
Immediately, I sensed something was amiss. I'd never seen this bloke in my life, but there wasn't a hint of surprised in his presumably drug-induced expression.

SOUND OF ELECTRICITY

JIMBOB
Whoa. Never seen these before.

MR. STONED
That's a plug socket, mate.

JIMBOB
Oh! Oh.

JIMBOB (Narration)
Since when, I thought, had plug sockets been five centimetres thick, in three uneven sections and emitted a thin blue light every three seconds? I stepped back cautiously and looked around, squinting in the dim light. The main source of light seemed to be coming from another room, around a few corners. I followed this light into a small offset area...

INSERT MUSIC- THEME TO SPACE 1999

JIMBOB (Narration)
...Completely empty, except for one backlit shelf, holding a large egg. I was enthralled. Moving a nearby stepladder and climbing up it, I went to pick it up. But as I did-

MUSIC CUTS OFF

JIMBOB (Narration)
The light went out. I was in darkness. I did the only thing I could think of, and put it back on the shelf.

MUSIC SWELLS AGAIN

JIMBOB (Narration)
Via the light of the egg, I managed to see the way out of the room and plan my escape. I took my chances.

SOUND OF BREAKING GLASS.

JIMBOB
Whoops.

JIMBOB (Narration)
I checked my wallet, and realised I had no money and no credit cards. As shelves covered most of the walls, right to the ground, I could see no place to bang my head. But I wasn't going to let this stop me from obtaining this mystical item. It became clear to me that I was going to have to shoplift. I put the egg discreetly under my coat and headed for the exit. As I approached the door,

SOUND OF HOWLING WIND RISES

JIMBOB (Narration)
I felt a burning sensation in the area of the egg. A dazzling light, coming from under my coat, blinded me. Holding the now-shining egg in front of me, I heard a voice.

THE MYSTERIOUS VOICE
Jimbob. Look at what your race has done.

JIMBOB (Narration)
A montage of images flashed before me: a sewage pipe opening into the sea, car exhausts billowing smoke, large trees being cut to the ground and, most shockingly, reels of films being cut and spliced.

JIMBOB
Why? Why have we done this?

THE MYSTERIOUS VOICE
My apprentice will explain.

MR STONED
Don't you see mate? Human beings have evolved to the stage of self-destruction. God is using Man to destroy the Earth. He never intended for life to exist eternally on Earth and now he is sending the Earth back into the Sun.

JIMBOB (sarcastically)
So why are you telling me? Am I the only person to have come into this forgotten temple?

MR STONED
There's something else you wanted to know isn't there?

JIMBOB
Er...

MR. STONED (singing)
#The shin bone's connected to the- knee bone, the- knee bone's connected to the-

JIMBOB
Oh yeah. What about me? Why have I never grown?

THE MYSTERIOUS VOICE
Thirty years ago, Jimbob, you were conceived in the disabled toilet of a McDonald's restaurant.

JIMBOB
No! It can't be true!

MYSTERIOUS VOICE
I'm afraid it is. Just deal with it. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes. The vile fumes and piles of waste damaged your cells and you were never to grow again. Your bones formed as lumps of gelatine, therefore making you a literal human jelly baby. As for the egg you have in your hand- that is the egg.

JIMBOB
What egg?

MYSTERIOUS VOICE
You know the phrase- which came first, the chicken or the egg?

JIMBOB
THIS is the actual proverbial egg?

MYSTERIOUS VOICE
Yes.

JIMBOB
So it was the egg? That came first?

MYSTERIOUS VOICE
No mortal will ever know. You tried to steal the egg. You wanted to keep the meaning of life to yourself, but only I, the Sovereign Lord, will know. Oh, and my apprentice, Mr Stoned.

MR STONED
Yup.

THE MYSTERIOUS VOICE
You are an individual, Jimbob. No-one on Earth is as original as you.

HOWLING WIND FADES OUT

JIMBOB (Narration)
The light receded and only the outside daylight remained. Shaking, I handed the egg back to Mr. Stoned.

JIMBOB
I think I'll leave this with you.

MR. STONED
Yeah, see you mate.

JIMBOB (Narration)
I stepped outside into the cool daylight. My Harley was there, just as I'd left it. Stepping on, shaking slightly, I switched on the ignition and rode off, my mind a race of thoughts. The man in the temple was right. We're evolving to destroy ourselves. I suppose I'd better make the most of this world while I've got the time.

[SOUND FROM OPENING OF EASY RIDER- MOTORBIKE STARTS UP, THEN STEPPENWOLF'S BORN TO BE WILD KICKS IN. FADE OUT.]

No comments: