Saturday 14 April 2012

Well, I am just fucking hilarious.


Last week I got a shout out on Ideal Club World Radio, an online station that claims that “the world has been missing a radio station with a strong identity that universally covers all non commercial /manufactured music and reports on news and gossip in the global underground music world.”

My friends DJ Bini and co-host Hema present the Asian Invasion “Taking you through a journey of classics, funky & upfront house. Reflecting on the previous months hot tracks being played in and around Manchester and very special guest DJ mixes.”

The girls were asking us to tweet the show April Fools pranks that we pulled on the 1st of the month. I told them how I'd put this as my profile pic

and that loads of people who I'd known for years fell for it. Hema read out my tweet! Superbo!

After I put it up I had an hour-long conversation with one young mother in my friends, who advised me on a range of sensory mattresses and radios that I'd need to buy. Tee hee.

Asian Invasion is a great show, so be sure to tune in on Wednesday nights at 9pm to get some good house into your system.

On the subject of good music, Rififi Stalybridge had a local Manchester legend gracing their decks on Good Friday. Capital Radio's David Dunne span a few classic house tracks while a stunning podium dancer showered us with metallic sparks from her angle grinder. Great music and a great night. I tweeted to Mr Dunne to tell him this. He retweeted back. This made me happy.

Twitter round-up: The lovely Cathy Heaven (6K followers)  wished me a Happy Easter. I got blog retweets from the superb ladies Charlee Chase (59K) and Tina Lee (4K). Respect, girls. 
 
I also had the banter with Jodie Connor (35k), the astoundingly beautiful singer from Roll Deep's No1 hit “Good Times”. 

 A native of my own town, Oldham, Jodie tweeted that she had “fallen back in love...” I replied that she had, hence, broken my heart. Turns out she was on about Jack Bauer. “Oh don't you love 24 too! Lool” she said.

You got me there, Jodie.

Bad news: I've had to put Mixed Martial Arts on the back burner again as I cannot justify the price of membership. Good news: I've now taken up Street Dance at the Dancehouse Theatre in Manchester. I've been meaning to give this a shot for a long time. I'm a pretty good dancer as it stands, but I thought, I might as well go and learn to do it properly. Not only that, but I came to a revelation recently- people are happiest when they spend their time doing the things they enjoy and the things they're good at.

Well, duh.

I got pretty good at MMA after a few years, but had to quit in 2010 when I got my own gaff. It was always a struggle learning the techniques in the class, even though I enjoyed it and felt like it helped me develop in so many ways: I was more confident, less afraid and stood my ground more in minor disagreements. Dancing, on the other hand, is something I just know how to do somehow. So why shouldn't I go to a class and sharpen up more? Not only that, but the people I meet there, I thought, will probably be on my wavelength. It seems they are. Oh, and who'd have thought? There happens to be loads of fine young women there as well!

A lot of my friends are staying in and saving up for things, so this class could just be a major lifeline for me. It's going well so far. You know what? A lot of things are. Here's a quote by someone who was ALSO a total failure in school. It displays the importance of sticking to your strengths.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
-Albert Einstein

No comments: