Sunday 22 April 2018

Karting, Farming and Reconciling

This week: I go-karted for the first time in about 20 years, with Andy's Man Club at Team Karting. Great fun. Surprisingly physical. Your whole body gets a workout as you yank it around a very bendy track at 60 mph.

I've also had my first Step-Up session at The Enterprise Centre Bury, a farmyard and training centre for people looking to build new employment skills. Step up, a week at a time, will be training up a group of us in project planning, practical skills and careers advice. I was put in touch with this free course through government scheme Get Oldham Working. Very interesting sessions, involving group work, business skills... and horses.


Looking forward to further self-development.

Last night I went to my 20-year secondary school reunion at Smokies Park in Oldham. Wow. I'm not going to lie, I was a bit of a loner in school so I wasn't sure who exactly I'd be hanging around with, and I had a few issues with a few people back in 1993-98. But I knew the time passed would eliminate all grudges. I was right- on the night, the people I hung around with the most were probably the people I had the most trouble with. These days, it's all good. That said, a lot of the people I hung around with last night were people I did get on with back then. I didn't exactly have a clique, so I spent a lot of the night mingling. A few people said it felt like therapy. Amazing retro pictures sourced from people from my year.

A post shared by Matt Tuckey (@matttuckey) on

Great night. The organisers put in a lot of graft to pull the night together, and it paid off!

No comments: