Saturday 13 June 2020

Does Vitamin D Improve Mood?

Name this Mortal Kombat character

We're a week away from the longest day of the year, in the height of summer. I've been out in the back yard whenever possible. My factor 30 hasn't worked and I've been predictably burned a few times. But before the fleeting few weeks of scorching sun, The UK has had a mild and not-overly-sunny spring, and it was during this time that I started taking vitamin D tablets. Vitamin D is known for its feelgood properties and its value in combatting depression.

As you can see I wrote the post 2 days before lockdown started, late March, so I've not been to the gym during this time. I've only worked out at home, following gym instruction on Instagram and Facebook, with people like Tyson Fury and Commando Charlie shouting the instructions. Physical and mental health go hand in hand, so I've been keen to work on both of these simultaneously. But I can't list any PBs at the gym, obviously. I also don't own any scales, so I've no idea what my weight's doing. These shorts don't seem such a struggle to fit into, as they have done in recent months, so I've got a good feeling.

Point is, I've now finished the tub of 90 tablets. My mood has been pretty good during lockdown, to say I haven't seen any of my friends face-to-face in months. I'm still having Zoom meetings, still having webcam sessions with Andy's Man Club, and I've probably seen more of my mum's side of the family during lockdown than I had in the 3 months before it was imposed.

I'm reading loads, working out loads, and watching loads of Netflix. I'm keeping busy, not allowing myself to dwell on negativity. I'm an essential worker, so my income is the same. Things aren't too bad at all. Question is, can I attribute this to the vit-D tablets? I suppose they can't do me any harm. I also can't overlook the NHS treatment I was having right up to just before lockdown began. I've followed the advice, which- to condense a lot of info, I could say: keep doing things you enjoy, keep your expectations small, have happy, positive conversations and stop making assumptions about what other people are thinking.

Of course, the other variable is that I've been on antidepressant Mirtazapine throughout all this, and way before too. Years, now, in fact. So, that will have stopped me dipping throughout the pandemic. That said, it also sends my appetite through the roof.

Now that I've ran out of Vitamin D, and we're still in summer, it's going to be interesting to see how I feel just relying on natural sources. I'd be interested in reading what your experiences of Vitamin D tablets are.

1 comment:

Jennifer Lawrence said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.