Monday 31 August 2015

Prospective Mondays

If you're anything like me, you've just woken up and are trying to piece together your bank holiday Sunday night out. Unlike me, you can't remember because you're hammered. I was sober and I'm still having to look through pictures and whatever I jotted on MS Onenote on the Lumia.

New Northern Quarter bar Pen and Pencil has opened on Hilton St. Great little arts-and-crafts-themed joint playing chilled house. Well worth a look. We had one in here and then moved on to nearby Kosmonaut, which translates as “Russian astronaut”. The small bar has what I guess is a Soviet theme- leather seats like those on old buses, painted and bare brickwork, white tiles. It's one of the few places in the city still playing house music. Although visually it's not what I would have imagined I'd like, the atmosphere was great and the clientele were good people.

We then moved on to Lola Lo on Deansgate locks, which I don't mind, but I think is getting a bit samey. The fire alarm going off emptied it out at the end, and the rain killed the attendance to begin with. Top night with the lads though. More of those to come thanks to meeting them through Meetup.


And on the subject of Meetup, what happens this week? Fancy a free Brazilian dance lesson in the city? Check out International Party People. Stand-up comedy for the self-confessed Socially Awkward? Or perhaps you want to join Manchester Social Group to go to the Spanish festival Festejar

If you like a rummage, how about a car boot sale in Middleton? They're always good for cheap books etc.

I'll be joining Creative Party People on Friday for drinks with filmmakers, graphic designers and writers. If you're a creative type, come join us on Friday at Dukes 92 in Castlefield. Creative talk, ideas, collaborations, but mostly getting pissed. Which is a good enough reason for anyone to meet up. Get involved!

Further events in the city are detailed on the Manchester Evening News' What's On guide, which is always worth a look. Let me know if there's more.

No comments: