Sunday 8 October 2017

Anthony Crolla's Afterparty WENT OFF


Who saw Mancunian Anthony Crolla's fight against Scotsman Ricky Burns last night? If you missed it...


I caught up with it this morning, but had previously set up a meetup for the afterparty in new Deansgate Locks bar El Diablo, and secured guestlist from promoter and Love Island competitor Scott Thomas. He'd suggested it would be £10 on the door, but as my name was down the girl at the entrance let me straight in.

The club's dΓ©cor was quite unique, with brown couches and backlit mesh covers to the arches that make up the Locks, a set of bars built into the arches of a viaduct. The club's music was refreshingly dancier than most, but what made it more unique was the luminous stilt-walking robot men. Obviously.


The club still has a few growing pains- a couple of plasma screens froze, and there was a strange smell at times that I couldn't define.

The clientele seemed pretty chilled out, friendly and with a good mix of ages. One guy could have passed for a very drunk Michael Fassbender, but I'm pretty sure the guy who's hand I shook was Love Island season 2 winner Nathan Massey. Someone in there looked like season 3's Tyne-Lexi Clarson, and she promoted it over her Twitter a few days ago, so I'm guessing it was her. I didn't quite ask in time.

As the night drew to a close I managed to say hi to Anthony Crolla himself. We'd both been at a youth boxing event in Oldham a few years ago. A good guy, he remembered the event.


Good fun. The bar's worth going back to!

No comments: