Sunday 19 July 2020

Gorilla and The Deaf Institute Close Permanently, Band on the Wall Closes 'til 2021

Kylie Minogue in Gorilla

Two key Manchester clubs have folded this week due to the pandemic: Whitworth St club Gorilla and Oxford Road venue The Deaf Institute.

There is a possibility, according to the M.E.N, that a buyer for the venues may have come forward. But things still look bleak.

I had good times in both. It would be a real shame to see them go. In Gorilla I met house music producer Route 94 (his key song was My Love, featuring Jess Glynne) and 90s house music group K Klass (Show Me was their big hit from 1996.) I also saw rapper Xzibit. Great nights each time, this latter-mentioned gig possibly more so due to it being the only club where a joint was openly passed around. Certainly passed the time while we waited an AGE for Xzibit to appear on stage.

The Deaf Institute is a large, multi-storey club on Oxford Road that- as well as music nights- hosted literary events like the Blog North annual awards and I could have sworn fiction and poetry slams, although I don't appear to have written about them. Some talented writers graced the inside of their walls. Also adorning the insides were the skulls of various random animals. Very unique place. Its loss would be a real shame.

Furthermore, Northern Quarter live music venue Band on the Wall is temporarily closing until September '21, says the M.E.N. I've been meaning- since about 2012- to try the place out, but never got around to it.

Well. Some venues have reopened, some not so. Such is life. As it happens, I haven't been out at all since before lockdown. I'm in no rush to risk anything.

No comments: