Saturday 8 May 2021

The 48 Laws of Power

 



Power (noun)

1) ability to do or act; capability of doing or accomplishing something.

2) political or national strength


-Dictionary.com


What individual could be so bold as to write a book called The 48 Laws of Power? What authority could claim to be the person on which you can rely to tell you everything you need to know about power, how to gain it, and how to keep it?

Well, historian Robert Greene assuredly takes that mantle. His aforementioned debut book, released in 1998, identifies the 48 rules through which people in history have attained their power. Drawing from extensive historical knowledge (5 millennia worth), he then details instances that exemplify these laws, one law at a time.

Each chapter contains a judgement- a brief description, a transgression- where the law wasn’t observed and what went wrong subsequently, an interpretation- how the law applies in the example, an observance- how someone followed the law and how it benefited them, an interpretation- what exactly happened, and how the law is relevant, the keys to power- how to use that law properly to benefit yourself, image: a short metaphor illustrating the law, authority: a historical figure’s relevant quote, and a reversal- advice on how, sometimes, it may be appropriate to act in opposition to that particular law.

48 Laws is a weighty, thorough book- one I expect at least one of my previous managers have read, now I think about it- with vital information hindered by an awkward, 2-column layout. The smaller column of text, featuring quotes, parables and such, could have been displayed as page breaks rather than requiring us to flit back and forth.

Other questionable facets include bible verses and serious references to mythology like they were historical fact. I very much doubt that Moses- a guy who allegedly lived to 500 years old and nearly murdered his son because of voices- was ‘the first practitioner of Law 15: Crush your Enemy Totally.’ (Everyone knows it was Conan the Barbarian… right?)


(Turns out it was Genghis Khan.) 

Furthermore, Law 26: ‘Keep your hands clean,’ contains a serious reference to Oedipus, the mythical Greek king, and a suggestion that an act of incest caused a plague. (Wait- weren’t The Queen and Prince Philip third cousins? And how many COVID deaths has the UK had...?)

Only pages after this, Greene celebrates Jewish inbreeding under the guise of ‘concentrating forces.’ Mixed messages much?

Despite these misgivings, The 48 Laws of Power is well worth spending the time chugging through. The research is expansive, the lessons vital.

1 comment:

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341