Saturday 31 July 2021

Before 40 Bucket List

 

Birthday balloons on Twitter


It only seems like yesterday that I wrote my ‘Before 30’ list, when I turned 29. In that following year I spent a lot of time in neuropsychology sorting out memory related issues, learning to cook, developing organisational systems to hold info, and visiting different social groups like salsa and street dance. So, by summer of 2012, I’d forgotten most of what I’d put on this list. Returning to it, I managed to tick off a few Scotland-based inclusions in 1 weekend, but a lot of other points were recommendations from others, not particularly things I had a burning desire to do.


On that issue, in my 20s I was still very unsure of myself, still wildly paranoid about other people’s opinions, and not yet ready to make solid decisions on what I actually wanted to do, and not do. The list I came out with is, well, very cringey and oversharey.


I’m now 39, a little- little- more sensible, and with a few new plans for the last year of my 30s.


12-day smoothie diet


For someone who doesn’t believe in diets, I sure have tried a few of them. Throughout, though, my body weight has risen, and risen, and risen. A combination of weight training, insomnia and medication has ballooned me to 88kg, a far cry from the 68kg I stayed at for years until I moved out of my parents’ gaff in ‘10. I believe consistent, good food, exercise and sleep keep you in the right shape.


But that hasn’t stopped me trying this and that, all the while fighting horrendous sweet-tooth cravings. The next thing to try: The 12-Day Smoothie Slim Detox, promising a 7kg loss in 12 days. A colleague gave me this PDF a few months ago, but I’ve found excuses not to give it a go. I’m focussing on this Olympic Workout project at the moment, so perhaps after that…


The goal for using this detox plan is to get back under 80kg, and to be able to fit back into my old suit trousers.


A Month of Bodybuilding


I’ve been regularly weight training since about the age of 25, and I’ve become steadily stronger and heavier since then. Some of this weight has been muscle. Some of it has not.


This said, I’ve kind of been firing blind with weight training, not really knowing which movements to work on, for how long, or in what order.


I’ve recently finished reading Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. If you’re going to read a book on weight training, why read anything other than the guide written by the most prolific and celebrated bodybuilder of all time?


I now have a good idea of how I should be working out- how many reps, which body area, in which order… and then what to eat, when to eat, which protein shakes to try, and- in the unlikely event that I compete- how to prepare for bodybuilding contests.


But let’s not run before we can walk.


I’ve been planning to do a month-long project for years, but things (like the COVID lockdown) keep getting in the way. The plan I have is to work out twice a day Monday to Friday, and once on Saturday. I’ll work a body area per session, and between them, eat TONS of porridge, meat and veg. There’s more in the book, and I’ll go into further detail whenever I do it, but the aim is purely to increase strength. Any additional size or toning is a benefit.


Get Off Antidepressants


Okay, listen. I’m not a doctor. This post is about what I plan to do, not advice on what you should do. Don’t copy me.


I’ve been on medication for depression for about 6 years now. I’ve certainly improved my mindset during that time, but I’d attribute those mental gains to time spent in NHS psychology departments, and support groups like Andy’s Man Club, as opposed to medication. The meds have perhaps helped here and there, but they certainly haven’t stopped me from dipping and feeling the world cave in.


That said, those feelings haven’t emerged since before the pandemic, and who knows if they will again. Perhaps not. I’m certainly going to wait until the vaccine rollout tapers off, and the focus shifts from those waiting to be called up to convincing others to take it. (Hopefully, vaccine passports will be implemented in clubs and suchlike, which will force a few to do the right thing. It looks like this may happen in September.)


I digress. Soon, I’ll get back to nights out and events, go to half dose- a tab once every 2 days- then wean myself further.


Get Back on TV


I was once on a couple of dating shows back in 2013- The Year of Making Love, a ‘science experiment’ about creating compatible couples (and an utter pseudoscientific failure), and Sing Date, a kind of karaoke version of Take Me Out (as cringey as you might imagine). These resulted in neither a relationship nor a blue tick.


I’ve applied to the odd show here and there since then, but not been picked. They’ve usually been other dating shows, but I’m keen to try game shows and whatever else the media can throw at me. If talentless mugs can get fame through Love Island and Ex on the Beach et al, and get verified, a reasonably capable bloke like myself should be able to too.


And why do I want that? That’s a whole other blog post.


Complete this Teeline Workbook


During the pandemic I found copy of Teeline Fast by Ann Dix, a guide to shorthand. I read it, but I’m planning on working through it, learning more shorthand strokes, which will make events blogging a lot easier. I need good notetaking skills due to memory difficulties. I’ve found I can get more details down since learning a little bit of Teeline. I’d like to be a little better. After that, I’ll make a concerted effort to get back to events.


Visit Scandinavia


Travelling has been on the bucket list a long time. Why the freezing northern countries, though?


Well, I’m unlikely to get sunburnt, for a start. That’s something that never ceases to happen in warm weather, regardless of the factor of the sun cream. So I may as well go somewhere cold. But, appropriately, that’s because my ancestors were Scandinavian- Vikings, no less. The Tuckey name derives from Toki, the Viking tribe. Looking into my family’s (or my clan’s) past would be a great reason to go to to Norway or Denmark, perhaps. I bet they have great Viking museums.


See Other European Places


Where’s good for house music? Is Ibiza still a thing? Marbella? Are former Soviet countries still accessible post-Brexit? I have no idea. But seeing more of the world is a must.


Experiment with Echinacea


What is echinacea? The herb from the purple coneflower has many physical and mental health benefits. Among the benefits I particularly would benefit from: it lowers blood sugar levels, boosts the immune system, combats infections and viruses, limits excess inflammation and reduces anxiety.


I bought a load ages ago… then we went into lockdown. As my anxiety centres around social situations, there’s been no point over the last year or so. Soon, I’ll give it another shot.

1 comment:

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341