Saturday 11 December 2021

Spicy Baked Beans

A colleague gave me this recipe a year or so ago, and it slipped my mind until I had to check an old diary where I’d had it pinned. I’ve no idea where she got it, but today I gave it a shot. Breaking tradition, I’ll put the recipe in here. 

1/2/tsp olive oil 

1 small onion, finely sliced 

1 small red or greeen chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped 

1 clove garlic, crushed 

2 medium tomatoes cut into into 8 wedges 

½ tsp mild curry powder (I only had chilli powder) 

1 large can of reduced-sugar, reduced-salt baked beans 

2 tbsp water 

1 tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley (I used dried parsley from a pot) 

 1. Lightly oil a saucepan (I used Teflon frying pan, worked for me) and gently fry the onions, chilli, and pepper for 5 mins. Add the garlic, tomato segments (these should have been chopped smaller than 8 wedges. I did 16; sliced might have been ideal) and curry powder, and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add the baked beans and water and cook gently until the beans are cooked through. Stir in the chopped parsley. 

2. Service on a bed of brown rice or pasta. (I skipped this. It’s just more work and carbs.) 

Result: took about half an hour. Pretty nice. Quite spicy. Enough for a couple of meals. Not something I’d rush to do again.

No comments: