Tuesday 20 December 2022

I’ve spent a month on Mastodon

Space nut Elon Musk – new owner of Twitter who appears to have sacked himself via poll – had bought the platform for $44 billion a month ago and is now in the process of ruining it. 

In response, a big chunk of Twitters users are searching out alternative platforms. The most prevalent of these is Mastodon, a very similar status-based site with many of the same functions. 

Mastodon, meaning ‘a large extinct elephant-like mammal,’ will now be more commonly be known to mean ‘a 6-year-old social media network. It’s decentralised, meaning instead of just one site there are thousands of individual communities it calls servers.’ – so says Washington Post

I joined Mastodon around a month ago. I’ve kept checking back on it, but it’s a very quiet site. There are very few people using it – no-one I personally know – and a handful of celebs are prominent on it (Star Trek’s George Takei is one of the most vocal contributors). I’m currently posting blog links there, but I’m not gaining much traction. 

The site will be more lively in 6 months. Follow me back if you want.

No comments: