Saturday 14 January 2023

Progress Made, says Doctor. I'll Take That

 

Before I get into this, I’m the patient. Not a doctor. Don’t copy me. 

I made a decision in March of last year to come off Mirtazapine, an antidepressant that I’d been taking for 4 years. I went down to a dose every 2 days, then ran out in June. The reason: it was making me fat, and bringing me down. The whole point of being on antidepressants… well, I shouldn’t have to explain, but the weight gain was in itself harming my mental health. I came down from 90.1kg at my heaviest to 72.2kg. (Sadly I’m somewhat heavier than this now, around 76-77kg.) 

Yesterday I went for a routine check-up with a doctor. I’m seeing a different one every time, it would seem, as I’m sure are many these days. 

Things are pretty positive. Blood tests came back good. Cholesterol is a little high, but has come down since the last check-up (although I can’t remember when that was). I’m below average for my age. 

Coming off Mirtazapine will have been the driving factor behind this success. I really need to maintain my weight and stop buying junk food like a child. If I’d just do this, I could stay at a healthy 72kg instead of bouncing around all over the place. The progress I’d make at the gym would be a lot more consistently evident. 

So… Let’s go back to what I called social dieting – only cheating on diet if I’m with other people. I have many other fitness plans to act on this year. But let’s start with this.

No comments: