Sunday 31 December 2023

That was 2023


 

It's just a ball of dust underneath my feet It rolls around the sun, it doesn't mean that much to me -Mighty Wings, Cheap Trick 

Well, the ball of dust has rolled around the sun once more, and 2023 has come to a close. What an absurd year. 

I lost my patience with anti-vaxxers and blocked huge swathes of them. I’m also on the verge of blocking a plethora of socially inept mitherers, stalkers, gossips, Tories and assorted other cranks. I have no desire to be like this, but I also have no desire to put up with their bullshit. I’m now left with few social options. 

Oh well. 

Life has its perks. Things have gone well in work. I got onto Universal Credit. I’ve watched my niece grow up; she’s around 18 months now. I’ve been to some great events – conventions, book signings, club nights – met new friends, met celebrities, movie stars, fight champions, Olympic medallists and authors, I visited new places, learned about family history and saw my blog surpass the million hit mark (it’s now 82,000 hits past that). 

This week I finally got accepted onto Bluesky, another rival to Elon Musk’s X. I’d applied to join I think in the spring, and had waited to be accepted on, as per the protocol. It’s a very similar layout to X, as is Mastodon and Threads: mostly status updates, with comments, reshares and likes underneath. ‘Search’ and ‘Feeds’ are separate tabs, unlike X, but have the same function. At the moment I’m just posting blog links. Current members include Congresswoman AOC, author Neil Gaiman, whistleblower Chelsea Manning and the New York Times. 

Have a good New Year, folks.

No comments: