Wednesday 26 August 2020

Lockdown Reading: Take 3

In recent years I've undergone a number of attempts at the splits. I failed each time, of course, but most recently I made some progress by using the liniment Thai oil, a bizarre eastern formula used by Muay Thai fighters everywhere, for its healing properties. As well as alleviating bruises and sprains, it aids flexibility by warming the muscles to which it's applied. I'd sit on the floor with my legs against the cupboard doors, and push my heels out as far as they'd go, measuring between my ankles. My record for this was 1m 65, from 4 years ago. I'm planning to beat it. I made it to 1m 60 recently. I only stopped last month as I ran out of books. Well, I've just had a birthday, so there's no shortage now...

Looking forward, October is BLOGTOBER, a challenge to upload every day, and I have a plan for that (COVID allowing). Hence, I have a number of targets: beat 1m 65, perform the splits fully, beat some personal bests at the gym, and read this pile of books,


Either before October or before Oldham is lifted from this partial lockdown. Whilst doing this, I'll keep at the gym, attempting to beat personal bests. I'm going to try to mix into my diet healthy food that aids flexibility, like these.

Also, the Thai oil bottle goes out of date in November. I've wanted to do this project for years- stuff just kept getting in the way.

A quick sit-down gives us... oh dear. 1m 35 between the ankles. Let's begin.

No comments: