Sunday 6 September 2020

Erick Morillo / Danny John-Jules Updates

House music producer Erick Morillo took his own life this week. 

He was 49.

I'm hesitant to eulogise. He was credibly accused of sexual assault and was awaiting trial at the time of his death.  It seems tone deaf to say, 'RIP,' and talk about how many suicides there are every day and how so many of them are men. It now seems Morillo is not a character to be admired. Can we dissociate his music from his later alleged actions? I don't know.

His music had more of an influence on me than I thought. I'm only just finding now that he produced under the name Real2Reel, creating 'I Like to Move It' in 1994.


I remember seeing him play in South in Manchester in 2016. A great night if I recall.  'Live Your Life Be Free' was another banger that I heard on many nights out in the last decade.


Do these accusations invalidate my enjoyment? Again, jury's out.

Also, I got a tweet from Danny John-Jules, or The Cat from Red Dwarf.


We're still waiting...

No comments: