Saturday 2 January 2021

Lamb, Spinach and Potato Curry

I made a long-overdue return to the Hairy Dieters cookbook this week, from BBC’s Hairy Bikers, this time to try out their low-cal version of saag gohst, a mild lamb curry. Found in the ‘Fakeaways’ section of their book, this may have been low-fat, but it can’t be done if you’re low on time.

Before I even started cooking, I dropped into 2 different shops looking for lamb steaks. Perhaps the break between Christmas and New Year wasn’t the best time to be trawling supermarkets looking for food, especially not when a big chunk of our imported food was stuck in a lorry park in Kent. So, I didn’t want chops. Nor did I want minted lamb. Nor mince. Nor liver. Nor… Eventually mum to the rescue (again). She got some steaks from our local butchers.

I made my own adjustments to the recipe. I already had a pot of madras paste, so the ‘mild curry paste’ wasn’t needed. I didn’t weigh the lamb. The recipe asked for 600g, which might have been what I had. I managed to fit it all into one pan (which I later had to transfer to a larger cooking pot).

I had other problems with the recipe- you’re asked to brown the meat and put it on a plate while you use the frying pan for the next step… but the next step takes AGES. So I eventually cling-filmed the meat.

The curry sauce we’re asked to liquidise with a stick blender while it’s in the pan, which resulted in curry going everywhere. The cooking pot was more protective at this point.

I had a sealed can of (dangerously out-of-date) new potatoes, so I didn’t bother using fresh marie-pipers as requested. They were as fresh as ever.

After the spinach was added, the pot was filled to the brim, which I then ovened to cook through.

LSPC took me exactly 4 hours to cook. Obviously, a lot of that time was spent waiting for timers, either for the hob or for the oven, but there was a lot of messing in between. Whether someone without memory difficulties would take that long... well, it took fellow food blogger Flatten Your Curves a lot less than that.

But the end result was very nice. I wouldn’t say it was a favourite, but it was tasty, not overly spicy, and I very rarely have lamb, so it make a change from a million chicken and minced-beef meals. Plus, there’s enough for a few servings.

1 comment:

Ric Clayton said...

I really want to thank Dr Emu for saving my marriage. My wife really treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my wife has changed towards me. Then she told me to contact Dr Emu that he will help me bring back my wife and change her back to a good woman. I never believed in all this but I gave it a try. Dr Emu casted a spell of return of love on her, and my wife came back home for forgiveness and today we are happy again. If you are going through any relationship stress or you want back your Ex or Divorce husband you can contact his whatsapp +2347012841542 or email emutemple@gmail.com website: Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/ Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341