Sunday 18 February 2024

Meetup... Meh

Meetup group Social Manchester – formerly Young Professionals in Manchester - met up in Northern quarter bar On the Hush again on Friday. I attended another of their meetups back in November, and after this went to Terrace with a few others that time. I figured I’d give the group another shot. 

I got in late, just before 9, and the bar was heaving. It’s a popular group, but there didn’t seem to be anyone in charge welcoming newcomers or late arrivals. I introduced myself to this person and that person, but everyone seemed so disparate and the night had no agenda, no theme, no plans for later. It was just a room full of people. You can quite easily get ‘analysis paralysis’ in situations like these – who out of everyone here should I talk to? Why this person? Why not that one? 

At least last time a few of us banded together and hit another bar. This time I stayed as long as I could before my disgust at humanity overwhelmed me and I had to duck out. I’d have had a look around town, but it started raining. I’d also dished out a few cards with my socials printed on them, but, like last time, I’ve not heard back from anyone. 

I also never hard back from the Curated Meet group – from the same Meetup group - that met Tuesday last week. I’d tried to keep a group chat going, to no avail. I had high hopes for this group as we were put together based on interests and backgrounds, given in the questionnaire we filled when joining up. 

I was reluctant to get back into the Meetup scene after COVID, as I knew exactly the type of people that would be there: flakes, the socially inept and garrulous twats. But I didn’t know what else to do. 

I know so few good people who are able to go out and do something: barriers include people not having money, being too busy, having different tastes in nightlife, expressing anti-vaxx sentiment, Not grasping the necessity of the lockdown and what constitutes essential travel, being Tories or supporting Israel as they murder Palestinian children. 

In short, not people I’d want anything to do with.

This week I also went to a traditional pub with my family. This was a much more rewarding experience. 

 

No comments: