Saturday 14 November 2020

The Role of Vitamin D in my Life

 


Vitamin D

I work in an office. I would go to the gym, were it open. I would go to bars and clubs, a) were they open and b) were Manchester not a hotbed of drunken COVID-19 spreaders. I work out in my lounge, in front of Netflix, or in my bedroom watching someone’s Instagram Live. I read.


In short, I’m hard pressed to find anything to do outside. I’ve tried to enjoy running, to no avail. I don’t own a dog (nor would I want to). In the heat of summer, I’ll read, or use a skipping rope, outside. I’ll slap on strong sun cream, but I’ll still burn. I’m probably in danger of skin cancer. That or a bingo card of diseases from lack of sunlight.


Point is, I’m probably Vitamin D deficient, and there’s not a lot I can do about it, other than take Vitamin D tablets. I was doing this earlier this year, and I have no idea if it helped. Normally, I’d gauge a drug’s effectiveness based on achievements- what has happened since adding (X-drug) into my routine? Any new records at the gym? Any changes to body weight? Any successes in dating? Any feelings of lifted mood?


Well, the gyms were shut while I was on Vit-D, so no to that. I have some more tablets now, but I wont be able to beat any gym records going forward for the same reason. I don’t own any scales, so can’t gauge my weight changes. They were at the gym. And no-one is dating anyone (or at least, they shouldn’t be until this circuit-breaker is over.) I largely took these pills during the heat of summer anyway, when I’d be out in the garden when possible. As for mood, lockdown hasn't been too bad. Things haven't faltered since I ran out of vit-D, so who knows if it worked.


But hey, now that winter is approaching, I’ve been donated a wad of vitamin D pills from my understandably concerned mother. But how do I gauge their success?


I guess I carry on doing IG live workouts whenever they’re on, and then when the gym reopens mix in sessions there too. But in those gym sessions, I could really do with focusing on repping out- on dips, chin-ups and cross trainer, and aiming to bring down my waist size as opposed to lifting heavier weights.


Let’s see what happens in life before I run out of them.

No comments: