Sunday 15 November 2020

Mark Cousins follows me on Twitter.

Irish, dulcet-toned presenter of 90s film season Moviedrome Mark Cousins somehow found my content and decided it worthy of a follow. How he found me, or why he follows, I don’t know. I used to love his analytical, passionate intros, normally set in brutalist architectural areas like an abandoned mill, or a darkened TV studio. He’d open TV screenings- occasionally premieres- of great films like The Fly, Leon, Le Samurai, Clockers and the original Shaft. Here’s his piece before a screening of French cult movie La Haine.
I had many of these Moviedrome films taped onto VHS. They’re now transferred to DVD. They play and pause, but they don’t scan forward. (Cheers, Phillips DVD recorder from the mid-naughties.) They were films for those in the know, those who wanted to think and ponder. Some might say for true film fans. Others might say, for pretentious dullards. Moviedrome ran annually until 2000.

No comments: