Saturday 24 June 2023

Golden Vegetable Soup

I turned to the Hairy Dieters cookbook recently to see what recipes match up with the kind of things my ancestors would have cooked a thousand years ago. This month and next, I’m doing a little Viking project, researching some family history (Tuckey comes from the Norse ‘Toki,’ a tribe that invaded Britain some time between 745 and 1069). 

It turns out a lot of Viking diet would have been vegetables. So a veg soup recipe sounded just right. 

Hairy Bikers recipes are always a good shout – they take a bit of time to put together (this one took me an hour and 40, and an hour of that was just chopping; you might not take as long) but the end result is usually delicious. I’m not sure 9th century Norsemen had mains-supplied stick blenders, so their soups may have been a little chunkier, but the veg – butternut squash, carrots, parsnips, onions – would have been a staple part.

 

The end result, with a little fat free yoghurt and dried chives to season, tasted good. A lot of effort, though. That said, I had enough for a few meals, and seeing as I’m only eating 2 meals a day, I was eating soup for a while… 

A drawback I didn’t notice ‘til later: I was cooking this in a large non-stick pan. When it came to liquidising, I used a stick blender. The blade is protected by a plastic rim, but the rotating pole attached to the blade seems to have protruded a little – I bought it in 2002 I think and it seems to have given a bit - and has scored the Teflon in the pan. I should probably have poured the whole thing into a blender instead.

A good healthy inclusion.

No comments: