Saturday 10 June 2023

Reviews, Resources and, uh, Raver Drugs

I’ve noticed a lot of psychology-related news over the last few weeks, but not enough to make a blog post out of. Here’s a psych-based mish-mash for you: 

The Department of Work and Pensions have confirmed that Personal Independence Payment – the disability benefit – will stay non-means tested, which is a start. Still waiting for them to scrap humiliating private assessments, one of which I had. I may blog about it in time. What exactly working disabled people will do when Working Tax Credits ends in 2024, I don’t know. Some of us are not eligible for Universal Credit due to hours of work being below the threshold. 

A few resources are popping up on social media- End Loneliness UK ‘believe that people of all ages need connections that matter.’ I concur. Silver Cloud ‘offer Internet-based Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (iCBT) through a series of digital tools.’ The aim is to support NHS staff in the job, at a time when staff are experiencing unprecedented levels of stress. Togetherall describe themselves as a ‘community of real people who understand.’ It’s a mental health support community available to people who have certain employers: universities or the Armed Forces seem to be the main criteria. That said, I’m sure my employer brought it to my attention. I’m in the public sector, but they’re not listed on the site. I gather location plays a part too. As I’m happy with Andy’s Man Club I’m unlikely to investigate further. Let me know what it’s like! 

This was from back in February, but PsyPost reports that CBD - a non-psychoactive component of cannabis – can improve verbal recall, allowing more of what we hear. I have a bottle of CBD from an event that took place before the pandemic, but I never got into it. It was touted as an anxiety treatment, but I didn’t use it regularly. It might be worth doing a little month-long project in which I take CBD daily and see what happens, staying as social as possible. Further research has emerged about the use of MDMA to treat PTSD, reports PsyPost. It worked for me back in 2016. Nothing I’ve tried since then – illicit nor prescribed – has worked as effectively. Every barrier that I felt – every doubtful thought – dissipated that night. Sadly, I cannot risk becoming a massive pillhead. It was bad enough spending 4 years on prescription drugs that didn’t work. That’s your lot for the moment, but I have at least 2 more #psychologysaturday posts to come.

No comments: