Saturday 2 September 2023

Does CBD Improve Memory?

 


CBD, or cannabidiol, is known to help reduce symptoms associated with muscle and joint swelling, ease skin irritations, aid in disrupted sleep cycles, relieve tension, and support mental health. So says Peels, and this is what it’s known for the most. Peels also claims CBD is ‘believed to help improve memory function and prevent memory deficits in several ways.’ 

If there are any tests relating to CBD and memory, the high likelihood is that the subjects were neurotypical people – that they didn’t have any particular mental or cognitive condition. I sustained a head injury at birth and have had short term memory difficulties my whole life, so it’ll be interesting to see whether this will have any impact. I’ve not found any trials featuring people with memory issues from Acquired Brain Injuries or suchlike, although I’m sure some exist. 

Experimenting with CBD is something I’ve been meaning to try for a long time. Back in 2019 I attended the launch of CanCalm, a CBD product range based in Cheshire. I dabbled with it a little after that, but my social life was already dropping off due to bad weather and the looming threat of a novel coronavirus doing the rounds in Asia. 

In 2022 I decided it was about time I tried to cultivate a social life again, although this was harder than ever due largely to people not understanding COVID and vaccines. I’ve fallen out with a lot of people. Anyway, that’s for another post. Plus, everyone’s broke as fuck and the bar and club scene isn’t anywhere near as popular as it used to be. People know better than to harm their bodies like we did in 90’-00’s with excesses of alcohol. 

So, in order to provide myself with the social challenges that would typically provoke that anxiety, I need to go look for things happening in the city. Social events on maybe Meetup, Pickle or Thursday

When to take it? Wikihow says that effects take place 30-45 mins after taking it, so I’ll either take a dose just before I set off for a night out or event, or just before bed. 

This project is one of 6 that I set myself after my birthday at the end of July. I’m already working on this photography project, which I’m honestly finding a little challenging. There isn’t that much to shoot, and you’re at risk of people kicking off with you for photographing them. But there’s another issue that I’m noticing doing this project. 

Photography requires you to separate yourself from the scene. By nature, as a photographer you’re an observer, not a participant. So, when you’re looking for incidents to photograph, you’re already somewhat ‘apart’ from people. Some people go out and shoot as a group. I don’t seem to have any photography friends any more. I’ve had a look online to see if I can get involved with others, but most photography groups are hideously expensive. 

Will CBD ameliorate that feeling of isolation? I guess we’ll find out over the next month.

No comments: