Sunday 13 October 2024

Jam Packed Week

What a week. 

Tuesday: American TV studio AMC came to Oldham of all places to film Talamasca, based on an Ann Rice book (author of Interview with the Vampire). I had a look around the Mumps / Liquid and Envy area of Oldham. I wrote this up in this blog post and showed it to a few local news outlets; The Oldham Times picked it up, used my photos and credited me. That’s a win. 

Thursday: I got food in Cooper’s Yard with the family and met Bob the Skeleton from Wellnorth, a physio and wellbeing company.

 

Later that night the Aurora Borealis returned after being visible a month or so ago. I’d missed it that time, so when it was mentioned in a family WhatsApp chat I made sure I hauled my ass out of bed and drove up to Hartshead Pike, on a hill between Tameside and Oldham, to get away from the street lights. My parents were in on that chat and made the same decision as me, which was a surprise. Bucket List opportunity completed.

 

Friday night, Manchester Nightlife Meetup group went to Spinningfields. Or at least, we started there. 

I’ve mentioned this a few times: trying to get people on Meetup to come to Spinningfields is incredibly difficult. Not because they don’t want to, but because they don’t suit it. People on Meetup – massive generalisation here – just do not read instructions. I’ll explain the dress code clearly, but people will just not follow it. Then we’ll get turned away. We managed to get into Oast House and Alchemist, but Sexy Fish claimed to be at capacity. They obviously weren’t. I wanted to stay out there, but we were only going to have the same problem again in any other Spinningfields bar, so we tried Peaky Blinders instead. I was a bit reluctant, but it ended up being a decent night. I didn’t stay late.

Out with the family the next afternoon for a birthday meal. 

 

 

Ran another meetup that night, this time to Ashton on the outskirts of Greater Manchester. House music collective Hype Drive, ran by a good friend of mine, were set up in Chute Bar. One group member made it out. 

Brilliant music, good night introducing people to each other… but I was shattered. I forget I’m 42 sometimes. 

At least 2 meetups next week. Updates to come tomorrow.

No comments: