Saturday 9 October 2021

Roast Chicken, Squash and Red Onion with Lemon and Rosemary

From Rukmini Iyer’s The Roasting Tin, this recipe eschews the breast for the leg for a succulent treat of a meal. 

The cooking time for this was supposed to be an hour and 10, the 10 being the prep time. I think because of steady checks of the cookbook plus a (routinely) untidy kitchen, my prep time was an hour alone. 

The honey I used- from my uncle’s beehive- had quite a solid consistency, so I held a tablespoon of it over the hob to loosen it off. It drizzled a little easier over the contents this way. (A lot of the prep time was spent going to my mum’s to pick up the honey. I have no clue where mine went as I definitely had some from my uncle’s hive, but it wasn't in my cupboard.) 

The combination of the chicken still on the bone, the mixture of herbs and the lemon quarters nestled in the tin coalesced to great a rich, unique and brilliant taste. The best flavours of the book so far. The butternut squash is normally the one veg that needs a little longer than other ingredients, but I’d cut it small enough to be cooked through like anything else, and the chicken drumsticks made me wonder why I’d not cooked them before.

No comments: