Monday 3 June 2024

The Footage has Closed / Tender Opening

Manchester institution and student bar The Footage has closed, The Manc reports. Long live The Footage. It turns out that holding company Stonegate is in £2.2 billion of debt. 

I went there loads in my uni days – ‘02-05, mostly – and usually because that’s where my mates wanted to go. I wasn’t enamoured, although I do remember pulling there a handful of times. Even after graduating, I went back a handful of times, largely because other people, again, wanted to go. 

I remember in about 2006 going with a school mate and someone he knew, and we landed on karaoke night, it seems. We all did a turn on the mic, singing Love on the Rocks and You’ve Lost that Loving Feeling etc. After this, some drama troupe rocked up – freshers, by the look of it – who wanted to sing We Go Together from the Grease movie, only they had apparently requested to sing it acapella. The DJ obliged. 

They were, frankly, terrible. I started to boo, and my two mates joined in. Soon the whole bar was booing this drama group. “You suck,” I yelled, ala Mrs Crabtree from South Park. Other people hurl other insults. The troupe battle through to the end of the song and slink offstage. 

Not my proudest moment now I think of it. 

In other news, new restaurant Tender opens in the Stock Exchange on Wednesday, describing itself as ‘a luxury dining experience for the senses.’ I might go see what mocktails they have. 

Also, I have another recipe review to go up.

No comments: