Saturday 6 October 2018

Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Cups



Cooking is something that requires a little more effort than I'm usually willing to put in: an hour spent preparing something that I'm going to eat in 10 minutes flat seems a pretty unfair trade. But when you're bored of the same food, it's a necessity.

On the 20th I tried out Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Cups from Jamie Oliver's 5 Ingredients book. The principle of this book is that you can create a full, tasty, healthy meal with only 5 ingredients. Nice and simple, how I like it. Only I still managed to do it wrong, and cut the chicken before I'd marinated it. FFS.

I found the most difficult part of cooking it was making myself go into the kitchen and laying out the ingredients: the thought of cooking it was more painful than the process itself. I always expect things to be more difficult than they actually are. Overthinking is a problem that transcends many areas of my life: even my kitchen, it seems. For example, including the spices, there were definitely more than 5 ingredients, and this irritates me more than the process of cooking. It makes me wonder if I'm doing it right.

The hoisin and mango sauce was delicious. Everything else was a bit bland and separated, though.

No comments: