Saturday 29 February 2020

Phones Out of Bedrooms: Results

A month ago I made an attempt to address my rabid smartphone addiction that has disturbed my sleep pattern, my mood, my diet and, subsequently, my weight.

I've kept my phone in the lounge at night for the last month. The first night, I slept brilliantly. After that, not so much. I've never slept particularly well my whole life, and this has more than likely been a contributing factor to lifelong issues like stunted growth (I'm 168cm, or 5'6) and bad diet (either over or under-eating; the last decade or so it's definitely been the former of those 2). That said, for the last month I've eaten clean.

I've been focussing on a series of movements at the gym in an attempt to beat a few personal bests. One of these was 10-minute run, something I haven't improved upon since 2013, when I was a LOT lighter. Over the last month I've made no progress on this despite hammering the treadmill over and over. It's my longest-standing record, and for good reasons- I hate running, and having put on weight due to years of antidepressants, I've got progressively worse at it instead of better. Why do I bother? WHY?

Another movement was horizontal dumbbell fly, something I managed to match but not beat, and another was dips, with the same result. I was so close with dips, but then came down with a cold right before the deadline.

I started the project at 84.85kg (13'5).

I ended it at 85.1kg (still 13'5).

I still feel that sleeping without my phone was a huge benefit and I plan to keep this routine.

No comments: