Saturday 1 February 2020

Phones out of Bedrooms

I am a self-confessed smartphone addict. Some deep-rooted part of me, some indescribable need to be contactable and interacting with others, is wedged into my psyche like a lost sheep. Who do I know who is out enjoying themselves right now? That guy who was in that film one time, has he tweeted recently? What are the main breaking news stories? What does that particular word mean?

I can get answers to all of these questions, at the tap of a button, right at the time that I ask myself. This urge to find these answers usually hits just as I try to fall asleep, after the day's actions have ended.

To try to drift off I listen to ASMR, with the 'Do Not Disturb' icon highlighted in my phone's settings. ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response) is said to feel like a tingling sensation spreading over your head, typically moving down your spine and body, and can help with drifting off to sleep. At the same time, these ARE videos, delivering a rectangle of light into your eyeballs, telling your brain that it's still daytime. It helps your body to produce serotonin, which you DO need, but only during the day. Hence, it stops you producing melatonin, which you need to sleep. So ASMR for sleep half-works, half-doesn't.

A few years ago I made a point of keeping my phone out of my bedroom, as many doctors and sleep experts would advise,  for a period of 1 month. I gave this my best shot, but still felt compelled.

So let's try this again, starting today, for another month. At night I'll just read (as opposed to watching a thousand people's Insta stories) and if I really need to look up another word, I guess I'll have to get up and go into the other room.

Current weight: 84.85kg (13'5).
Target weight: 79.9kg (12'8).

As well as sleeping better I'll also need to eat cleaner, meaning I'm going to have to hire these guys to come to Tesco with me:

No comments: