Saturday 8 July 2023

New HMRC Woes

Well, the inevitable has happened, and I’ve been asked to apply for Universal Credit, a benefit for which I’m not entirely sure I’m eligible. Working Tax Credits end I believe next year, with Universal Credit replacing it, so for some reason HMRC – who tax me on my wage – want to see the payslips that they already deduct from. 

I’ve managed to print one out in work, as we don’t get automatic physical copies any more and my printer at home doesn’t work as it’s been so long since I printed anything the cartridge appears to have dried up. I’m not buying another cartridge every 12 months whenever I need to print a solitary piece of A4. I plan on having a go at this application tomorrow. Will I need more than one payslip? Unsure. 

I will need to (again) submit my psych assessment and any correspondence between my GP and the numerous therapists I’ve dealt with over the years. Joy. It’ll doubtlessly be an arduous task, as was getting Tax Credits back after DLA was stopped and I was asked to apply for PIP (an experience I should probably recount on here one day). 

A good Welfare Rights officer is essential, to point out if you’re being misinformed (a high likelihood) or doing it wrong (in my case, also high). I have til 15th September, but I want to sort this quickly. 

The system itself is designed to be difficult, as experience has always told me. The Big Issue have reported on DWP whistleblowers admitting the system is ‘target-driven’ and disabled people are ‘set up to fail.’ but then, nothing is new there. Anyone who has applied for PIP knows you’re treated like a liar and a con artist. Citizen’s Advice Oldham were good for me a while back. They’re based behind the Job Centre, off Union St. 

I’ll update next week.

No comments: