Sunday 2 February 2014

Cream Reunion at Nation, Liverpool

Last night Nation Nightclub hosted a revival of 90s rave culture with Cream Reunion.

I dropped by to the Liverpool venue with a gang of friends and watched the AWESOME X-Press 2 on the decks. You might recognise the name from this 2002 classic.
 

It took less time to drive there from Manchester than it did to actually find a parking space in Liverpool once we got there, but we eventually got parked up and dived into Fleet St Baa Bar. Good eye candy. We moved on to Nation after a drink. At first I thought we'd got there too early as there was no queue on the door, but the club- which was a lot smaller than I thought- took a long time to populate and never filled. The cool air let me keep my blazer on for most of the night, which was the last thing I'd have expected for a club of that type. I'd imagined it as being a similar size to Amnesia in Ibiza, home to the last Cream night I went to.  The club itself is a classic rave venue- probably a former cotton mill or warehouse, cracked stone floors, overhead metal piping.

I recognised the odd song here and there, like this one: 


But a lot of it was lost on me, I'm afraid. Unlike The Warehouse Project in Manchester, there was no information on set times so nobody- not regular customers or bar staff- who had any idea who was playing. Good company and some good music. I plan to spend more time in Liverpool soon. Great city.




No comments: