Sunday 19 May 2019

Strange things are afoot in the Meetup community


But they always are... I've met plenty of great people through the social media site Meetup.  Writers, partygoers, minimalists, young professionals new to the city... Many of these have been good people with whom I'm still good mates. Others, weird as fuck. I'm not in the habit of naming individuals, but one of the organisers of Manchester Megamix, we'll call her VL, had set up her own Facebook group chat for people who use the group, then left it after an argument.

I suggested, in this group chat, that we go to watch some boxing or UFC. A few people liked this idea. VL didn't want ideas being thrown around that weren't hers, so expressed her disagreement then left the chat. She's still down as one of the organisers, but the group chat has, unsurprisingly, dried up. There are 50+ people in the chat, but they're dropping out like flies. The meetup group itself has 5000+ members.

Meanwhile, I'm grafting away on smaller jobs at the new house. It's really taking shape. A bit of painting, some curtains and skirting boards (and figuring out why I've only got 5 channels on Freeview) aside, the house is ready.

After Oldham Comic Con I had amassed a pile of free comics and bought graphic novels, so I'm dropping in a review in every other blog post for the next few weeks. Swashbucklers: The Saga Continues features futuristic raiders chasing each other through space because colonisers are oppressing them. Or something. When a planet blows up, the shit hits the fan. Very corny, and with absurd west-country pirate accents hinted in the speech bubbles.

In other news, Jemma Lucy liked my tweet.

No comments: