Wednesday 22 May 2019

Public Relations Month


Back in January I volunteered at a Manchester-based public relations company. I gave up 2 weeks to learn about the field of PR- of taking a company or organisation, looking at their data, looking at positive aspects, turning select data into a press release and pushing it out to relevant publications. The experience taught me a lot, one of the main aspects being that, in the 21st century, PR isn't just bashing out an article and 'selling in' to a stream of editors: social media is changing the face of the industry and digital outlets are now providing a much bigger reach than print. That, plus expanding radio and TV networks are also offering platforms on which brands can be noticed by the public.

The placement ended and I went back to admin. Not only am I totally unsuited to the role of business support, but I now have both the 'carrot and the stick' in my career- a job that makes me deeply unhappy, but a different field that I'm focussed on moving into. I expect this isn't as easy at the best of times, but short term memory difficulties on top of minimal experience make for somewhat of an uphill struggle. The PR company were understanding, supportive, and great fun to work with. Typically, it was the more routine admin tasks that I struggled with the most- updating the coverage book used to record where articles were published, for instance- rather than the more creative elements, like brainstorming sessions or researching cycle safety campaigns. I left convinced that PR is the right field to enter.

After this, I found this house and started the process of buying it. Now that I'm living here, and the decorating is 90% done, it's time to get back into the swing of PR.

I can think of at least one company that were ready to offer me work experience. I've got a list of the top northwest PR firms, most of which I've already approached. One of these were ready to at least meet me. I'll re-contact a few of these, plus I'll look for bar launches, shop launches and other events and see who is handling their PR, then approach them. Being a little ballsy and offering to cover events got me into the Mirror Image Style launch last month. It got me onto Go:PR's books. Go understand that bloggers are looking for opportunities to cover ideas and events, and will write positively on your project if you invite them. Although bloggers may not have the same reach as a local news outlet, scattering a message via a cluster of smaller writers, without spending anything, is going to get your name in people's mouths, so to speak.

Deadline: 22nd June!

No comments: