Monday 31 January 2022

20 Years of Meetup

 

Back in 2009 I joined a little-known website called Meetup, a place for people to meet people to do certain activities based on their location. Writers Connect was the first group I joined, a community of creative types writing mostly short fiction and poetry. They were a good group that I was a member of for many years until it folded in 2018. 

In around 2014, Meetup- a site I’d been on for quite a while – seemed to blossom quickly, with more groups opening up every day. I’d had no idea until this week, that the site was way older than this. 

Meetup has just celebrated its 20-year anniversary. The heads of Meetup- the site- are running a meetup- as in an event- virtually, at 8pm GMT on Thursday. ‘The CEO will share what’s coming in 2022 including measures for organizer success and exciting product updates.’ Sounds good. I haven’t been to a meetup in yonks- even before the pandemic- but I’m interested to see how it plans to compete with other tech bringing people together (the Pickle app being one. Wikipedia claims it’s about matching jobs to tradesmen, but it’s mostly people looking for drinking buddies.) 

On the blog this week: a review of the Teeline project, and a potential psychopharmacological project is lined up.

No comments: