Saturday 9 September 2023

Tomorrow is World Suicide Prevention Day

It is estimated that there are currently more than 700 000 suicides per year worldwide, and we know that each suicide profoundly affects many more people. 

The World Health Organisation explains, ‘World Suicide Prevention Day was established in 2003 by the International Association for Suicide Prevention in conjunction with the World Health Organization (WHO). The 10 September each year aims to focus attention on the issue, reduces stigma and raises awareness among organizations, governments, and the public, giving a singular message that suicides are preventable.’ 

There are a number of things we can do to reduce suicide rates. I’m not a medical professional, so I’m not going to act like I’m the voice of authority. That said, talking therapies and groups are an obvious one. Check out Hub of Hope to see what there is in your area. Your doctor is also a good place to start. (Of course, not cutting disabled people’s benefits is an obvious improvement to make. Sadly, some people are okay with these cuts happening and will continue to vote Tory regardless – even when some disabled people die as a result.)

Also, I stumbled across this article about journaling as a means to ward off dementia. I dread to think what will happen to me in 10 or so years when my memory starts fading. It probably already has now. Thankfully, I’ve been blogging since 2006 (on PIASOM since 2008), so most notable events in my life are right here for me to reflect on. I’ve found my blog helps me recall what I’ve done with my life. Plus I have academic diaries dating back to September 2001. 

More psychology finds to come over the next few weeks.

No comments: