Thursday, 23 July 2026

Commonwealth Games Fit

Glasgow once again host the Commonwealth Games. This time, the BBC have only got limited rights, and apparently are only being shown on their Scottish Alba service. BBC say ‘Alba is to screen nightly live coverage and highlights throughout the Glasgow 2026 Commonwealth Games.’ Great if you’re in Scotland. Looks like we can watch it on iPlayer. Not sure there’ll be subtitles over the Gaelic, though. 

Thankfully Channel 5 is to show 2 hours of highlights. Sounds pretty shit, as a lot of what makes the games good is watching people progress through the heats to the finals, in some unusual sports that we don’t normally get to see. 

My plan was to beat as many chin-up and dip records as I could while watching the games, and once again try to get my weight down to hit the revered 72.2kg target. I’m currently 84.9. Sometimes I’m free during the day, sometimes at night. But if all we’re getting is highlights, it’s rarely going to be on when I’m ready to watch. When it is, it’s not going to take long to watch through that. So… 

I’ve got 3 films and a series left on my Netflix watchlist, then I’m going to cancel. I’ve got a ton of Blu-Rays and DVDs to get through. Skipping, chin-ups, dips and a few gym classes, plus a good clean diet, should sharpen me up. By the end of the closing ceremony in the evening of 2nd August, I plan to be fitter physically and mentally, and I expect England will be taking home a ton of metalware too. 

All this kicks off tonight at 8pm.

No comments: