Saturday 15 January 2011

Clowns- Me- Jokers.


Trying to make some sense of it all,
But I can see that it makes no sense at all,
Is it cool to go to sleep on the floor,
'Cause I don't think that I can take anymore

-Stuck in the Middle With You, Stealer's Wheel


A blurry and hungover start to 2011 has already seen the passing of two entertainment legends.

RIP Pete Postlethwaite. Loved him as Kobayashi in The Usual Suspects. It was great to see a northern fella take on Hollywood. And if Speilberg can call him “The best actor in the world,” then I think it's safe to say Mr. Postlethwaite won that battle.

Gerry Rafferty, one half of 70's duo Stealer's Wheel, also left us. Being 28, I didn't exactly grow up with his music. But for me, his name will forever be synonymous with torturing L.A Policemen. Quentin Tarantino first introduced me to Rafferty's music, when he used his “Dylan-esque pop bubblegum favourite from April of 1970” in a brutal- and now iconic- scene in Reservoir Dogs. I could never understand why the radio presenter in that scene had such a monumentally dull voice. A Seventies thing, maybe? He sounds more boring than I was on student radio when I was sixteen. Back then on a “broadcast” to the college canteen, my radio show about film director James Cameron was so gratingly mundane- as was my presenting voice- that I cleared out the canteen area and no-one was sitting there to listen to the next person's show. Ce la vie.

But what about me? What have I achieved? Due to wintery illness, not a great deal. But at least I'm still alive. *Inhales through teeth...*

Oh, adult entertainer Jelena Jensen replied to me on Twitter with a nice message. She even retweeted mine! What a legend.

And so is she.

No comments: