Thursday 20 January 2011

Things I've learned: 2010


Give me a fruitful error any time, full of seeds, bursting with its own corrections. You can keep your sterile truth for yourself.
~Vilfredo Pareto, Italian Engineer / philosopher


Do not show weaknesses. Particularly around women.
 
Be careful what you put on the internet, and where. Some things- for the sake of one’s career- do not want to be seen in the same place as your work info. The internet may be a big place, but the world is a small one.
 
I might have been better off on the dole. Currently, I’m working too many hours for housing benefit and not enough to gain working tax credits. Last year my wage was slashed from a grade three admin post to a grade one. I’m still on the same part-time contract. I fall perfectly into the “getting screwed by the government” bracket. I always have worked, though, on-and-off. Permanently, in fact, since 2007.
 
You might be the greatest dancer in the club, but if the club isn’t playing decent dance music, nobody will care about your skills. They’ll just think you’re a tool.
 
Similarly, if you’re doing something right, keep doing it. If something doesn’t work, don’t keep doing it. Hence, you can expect to see me in Stalyvegas and Manchester at the weekends, and not Oldham. See previous point. Giggity giggity.
 
Nobody wants to read your negative, bitchy, attention-seeking status updates. Keep everything you put on Facebook POSITIVE- no matter how utterly shit life can be…
 
To the credit of those around me, I’ve learned a lot of marketing knowledge and how to use social media to my advantage.
 
Again, thanks to other people I’ve learned how to throw a good punch, stop people throwing them at me, how to pop people’s arms out of their sockets and how to split people’s knee-caps open. I must get back into MMA soon. Gonna be getting rusty!
 
Also due partly to the efforts of others, I've sharpened up my writing and had a few acceptances here and there.

There are many other things I’ve learned- lots of it involving women- but, as the first point explains, I can’t tell you on here. It involves telling you what I didn’t know. Which is what I’ve just spent this entire blog doing.
 
Shit. I never learn.

No comments: