Saturday 4 June 2011

Dance-off on Venus

I had a preconceived notion that the atmosphere in Venus would be hazardous, choking and hostile. I thought it would be hard to breathe, and that I might not get in, anyway. Entering Venus is expensive, and then not everyone with the money can just land there. You need the appropriate clothing, and the right mentality. Somehow, we managed to barter a discounted Venus Visa on entry.

Sometimes clubs in Manchester have strict door policies.

Venus the Club, the Blackfriars Road venue, is a good destination for late-night clubbing. Far from being a pretentious, smarmy club, Venus- I soon found out- is popular with some of the most hilarious people in Manchester. Good house music, friendly clientèle and reasonable queuing times at the bar. (It was about 5am after staying at Prohibition ‘til the end, mind, so perhaps not as busy as it had been that night.) Highlight: Me absolutely dominating the dance-off between a group of lads by using The Hangman. Kinda looked like this.
(The video was not taken on the night. Won't embed for some ridiculous reason.)

On the decks: Frater & Stent, who have remixed a number of house hits including Solu Music's “Fade” 
and “I Like Love” by Solitaire.
I know their names from something else, but the internet isn't jogging my memory at the moment...

I had a little bit of trouble on Venus' door a while back so I was a bit apprehensive about giving it another shot. But I’m glad I did, and I hope return. It looks like Manchester’s house music scene is still a living, thriving beast, and as for the music in Venus- it's out of this world.

2 comments:

Gordon Bennet said...

Solitaire is a card came you play by yourself. Come installed on every PC. Sometimes called patience if you play it old school with hard ware.

CageFightingBlogger said...

I meant Frater and Stent! Took me a while for the penny to drop then!