Tuesday 24 January 2012

Reading and Working Out- Star Wars Screenplay




Continuing my literary-orientated fat-burning quest, I read the screenplay to Star Wars: A New Hope on the exercise bike this week. After 45 minutes of short cardio and weights, I pedalled for 92 minutes. That's 137 minutes of exercise in total, minus the 90 minutes of exercise before fat-burning occurs, which equals 47 minutes of actual fat burning.

Graft.

A New Hope is still a good read even when- like me- you know the film pretty well. I'm by no means a wannabe Jedi but I was a big time film fan in my younger days.

The book starts with a vintage article from 1977- before Star Wars hit the big screen- describing the monstrous task director George Lucas undertook in developing the project to from an idea through to a finished film. Impressive stuff. Lucas has always struck me as a bit of a nerd, but he's a genius nerd to have pulled off a movie as ambitious and as memorable as Star Wars.

I was describing this reading project to a friend of mine, a scientist. She suggsted that reading during exercise will actually help me to take in the information better- I'd learn more due to the increase of oxygen in the bloodstream, leading to blood pumping faster and the neurones in my brain firing quicker. I'm no scientist myself, but it sounds very possible to me. Whether that's the case when you've got a memory difficulty and you're not going to remember as much as other people might- who knows. The last two books have been screenplays to films I've already seen, so I know the deal. Next up: an interpretation of Nostradamus' prophecies. That'll be the real test.

No comments: