Saturday 30 June 2012

A Month to 30




Around a year ago, I wrote this bucket list of personal challenges and achievements to tick off by the 30th July 2012, my 30th birthday.

It was a bit of a rushed, confused list. I left loads off it and put on things that others suggested without thinking as to whether I really wanted to do them. “Reach Everest Base Camp” is on there, even though I'm not a massively passionate mountaineer, yet “swim with clownfish and regal tang” is not, and I've loved zoology and nature all my life. Both would cost a fortune, but I know which I'd rather be doing.

Visiting Loch Ness and a whisky distillery are ticked off, and climbing Ben Nevis is securely in the bag, as of last month. I tried to get back into MMA recently, but the price of training is unjustifiably high these days, so there'll be no grappling competition in the near future- definitely not before my 30th.

The rest of the list is long and mostly untouched. At the time of writing the list, I think I was being somewhat unrealistic- some of these would take more money than I have; others would take more time than I have.

To have ticked a few off is a good feeling, but making a list this long is perhaps a little scatterbrained. I've really got just a handful of very important challenges that I MUST overcome, and that I MUSTN'T be distracted from by wild flights of fancy like the majority of that list. Here are a few that ARE important:

1) Get known through the blog 

2) Eliminate my fear of women
 
3) Get to grips with my memory disability. I still don’t know how best to present it to people, how best to work with it and how to stop it from preventing me from being the man I want to be. But I’m learning all the time.

4) Meet more people who like house music





1) Get known through the blog 

My page views have slumped over the last few months as I uploaded less frequently. I have a plan for getting them back, and I'm working it, and what I'd like is to write something that helps lots of people in some way. Hopefully I'll produce something that isn't just a post with a few keywords resulting in more accidental Google hits- ideally I'd like to write a piece that benefits people and makes them want to share the post with others. Well. Stay tuned for that. 

2) Eliminate my fear of women 

Best not to go into too much detail right now. The journey continues... 

3) Get to grips with my memory disability. 

Over the last few months, as detailed on this blog, I've been meeting with a zoological consultant called Fluffy Oakes. His area of expertise is largely animal psychology, but he knows a surprising amount of human science as well. Through assistance from his sessions, I've taught myself to cook, I've got back in touch with old friends, I've finally got into street dance, which I've been meaning to do for a long time, I've sorted out a TON of Inland Revenue stuff and have got my finances in order, I've cut down on the amount of sugar I eat and I've even taken part in a TV show (More on that next year). I've also learned to relax when I'm faced with a problem, and not be smacked with an overwhelming sense of self-pity the moment I find something difficult. These things were not as easy to do as they sound, and this is due to the ridiculous memory difficulties I have had all of my life. That, however, is becoming less of a problem every day. In short, I've learned how to minimise the damage that the memory difficulties inflict and have managed to do some of the things I've been meaning to do for so long (see the posts just before this one). 

4) Meet more people who like house music. 

One or two people here and there I know like house music, including a few people I've met only recently... I've spent quite a lot of time looking for some kind of music social group with an emphasis on dance music: no luck. I have, however, found a street dance group and they're all decent people. Each week we learn a set routine for a particular R&B song, led by a qualified instructor. Everyone likes to dance, obviously, so I've got that in common, and we have a few drinks afterwards most times.

So. Yeah. When I trim it down, most of the important things I've achieved already. There's just one thing left. But I'm almost there. Almost.

No comments: