Saturday 4 May 2013

NaPoWriMo Comes to a Close



Courtesy SriLankan Photos, Flickr

Poetry is possibly one of the most unpopular forms of literature in existence today. Trying to get people to read something other than their own Facebook news feed is a challenge, so trying to open people's minds to the medium of poetry- an outlet most people haven't looked at since they were last forced to just before they left school- is particularly tough.

I'm one of the few people I know with an interest in the form, and I've been dabbling with poetry throughout April. After all, April was National Poetry Writing Month in America, and a lot of the blogs I read are US-based (see the blogrolls on the right). I thought I'd get involved. Whether any of my friends or regular blog readers checked out my numerous poetry posts I don't know. Whether anyone thought any of these posts made any sense is also debatable. But the organisers of NaPoWriMo came up with some interesting prompts and I enjoyed dabbling with these ideas.

At the start of the month, my plan was to focus on feedback on poems and getting work published. Well, I've found a good site for getting reviews on poetry. I'll write it up here soon. But I spent most of the month working with the surprisingly effective prompts (the fruits of which can be seen in the last few blog posts, with a few more in the pipeline). Publication, however, is unlikely to happen until late this year...

No comments: