Wednesday 12 March 2014

Confluence

Feedback group Writers Connect arranged a homework exercise a month or so ago: write a rap verse to perform at the next meeting. I whisked this up and "spat it" at the group two weeks later. It seemed to go down well, so I decided to make a music video of it. I wanted to make it as decent as possible, so I rehearsed it a few times, checked pacing, breathing, saliva control, gathered a few props, practiced with sound levels (a bit)... and then my computer broke. 2 weeks later, it's fixed and the verse is complete. Just a bit of fun. I'm not the next Immortal Technique

Or am I...?


0:20- snare starts
0:40- beat starts
From early beginnings on the outskirts of the city
I always bring unlikely circumstance with me
pick out a moment in space and time
on a radio show at the age of nine
Baloo arranges to take the club out
to commemorate the founding of the cub scouts
The group in their uniform are very well-dressed
But out of a sense of rebelliousness
I rock up in T-shirt and jeans
I figure we're there to be heard and not seen
everyone else is in woggles and scarves
leaving me looking the one who's half-arsed
An older cub, he was the type born to lead,
had numerous badges adorned on his sleeve
The presenter he asks what each one of them means
and the kid explains symbols supported by seams
He spoke with charisma aged only eleven
a popular jock who was known as Kevin
Or Sinny, a kid whose name you might know
was picked to play rugby for Leeds Rhinos
and later he rose to the top of his field
This kid, his name was Kevin Sinfield
Now I don't need any form or type of citation
As captain, he's one of the best in the nation.
But wait, let me take you back to '92
Cos with telling this story I'm not even through
The presenter agrees that uniform's irrelevant
as with radio, you don't have the visual element
It's liberating knowing that a city can hear ya
Then afterwards we darted to a little cafeteria
A floor or so up from the station's studio
We walked in the room, and what do you know?
Who do we see sat huddled there? (SWALLOW)
It was Peter Simon from Double Dare!
An opportunity we out not to pass
So Kev Sinny walked up and got us autographs (SHOW PIC)
I expect today that if the two were to be found
together that it would be the other way around!
The fate of the rest of the team is a mystery
So I'm signing off now from this scene of Oldham history.

No comments: