Tuesday 7 October 2014

Are Nico and Viz Singing Thinly Veiled Shakespeare?

RnB duo Nico and Viz recently released the cliche-ridden, cheesy R+B summer “hit” Am I Wrong. Question: Am I wrong for suggesting that they were heavily inspired to write this song after studying William Shakespeare's Macbeth?
The song is written with an audience I mind. It's unlikely that the musicians would benefit from adversaries or competitors knowing of their self-doubt, that being the central theme of the song. In this way it shares a similarity with the sililoqy, a section of text in a play that ony the audience and the character delivering the line can hear. Other characters in the play are ignorant to these sections. It's as if we're hearing the character's thoughts. Macbeth, like many of Shakespeare's protagonists, deliver soliloquies. Let's analyse the lyrics.
"Am I Wrong"
Am I wrong for thinking out the box from where I stay?
Am I wrong for saying that I choose another way?

Here the lyricists open by discussing ambition, a need to rise above or at least break out of their current situation. Today ambition is admired, but in the 1600s when the play was written “ambition” meant a desire to gain more than you were worth- to get more riches or respect than you honestly deserve. Ambition in this sense is a major theme in Macbeth, as the central character bloodily works his way up Scotland's ranks.

I ain't tryna do what everybody else doing

At the start of the play, Macbeth is a successful and respected soldier, and one that stand out due to his bloodthirsty nature. but it quickly becomes apparent that this distinction isn't good enough for him and that a regimented military life isn't one he's totally suited to, or one that he wants.

Just cause everybody doing what they all do
If one thing I know, I'll fall but I'll grow
I'm walking down this road of mine, this road that I call home

At the start of the play, Macbeth is returning home from war.

So am I wrong
For thinking that we could be something for real?
Now am I wrong
For trying to reach the things that I can't see?

On his way home, Macbeth is confronted by three witches who claim he will become thane of Glamis, thane of Cawdor and king. Macbeth is doubtful. He soon decides, however, that he wants to rise from his station in life- even if it is wrong to do so.

But that's just how I feel,
That's just how I feel
That's just how I feel
Trying to reach the things that I can't see

Am I tripping for having a vision?

Before Macbeth murders King Duncan, to take his place on the throne, he sees a vision of a dagger which leads him into the king's chamber- and to the act of murder.

My prediction: I'mma be on the top of the world

In the play it is the witches that have the vision of Macbeth becoming king, but it is a vision that Macbeth quickly comes to share. Unlike Banquo, Macbeth's colleague who now knows of their predictions, Macbeth himself suspects that these ambitions may not be fair or just. Banquo encourages Macbeth to pursue this vision, which he does.

Walk your walk and don't look back, always do what you decide
Don't let them control your life, that's just how I feel

The witches do not control Macbeth's actions, but they are certainly persuasive and their predictions turn out to be accurate. Macbeth decided for himself to walk his murderous walk.

Fight for yours and don't let go, don't let them compare you, no

After Macbeth has murdered Duncan, he can't just waltz onto the throne, as much as he might like to. He still has to convince people that another person is guilty. Duncan's sons Malcolm and Donalbain fear for their lives and flee, so suspicion falls on them (even though Duncan's guards- now also murdered by Macbeth- are the main suspects). Macbeth blames the murder on them. Also, there are other heirs to the throne in his way- the witches warn that Macduff is coming for him. He questionably “fights for his” by murdering Macduff's wife and child. He also has Banquo murdered as he too knows of the witches' predictions.

Don't worry, you're not alone, that's just how we feel

Lady Macbeth helps cover her husband's lies by- whether acting or not- fainting at the appropriate moment after Duncan's body is found.

Am I wrong (am I wrong)
For thinking that we could be something for real?

Macbeth's ambition is not solely to rule on his own. Lady Macbeth becomes his “fiend-like queen” with a similar lust for power, and eggs him on throughout the play. Macbeth is more than happy that she plays along.

(oh yeah yeah yeah oh)
Now am I wrong (am I wrong)
For trying to reach the things that I can't see?
(oh yeah yeah yeah yeah)

But that's just how I feel,
That's just how I feel
That's just how I feel
Trying to reach the things that I can't see

If you tell me I'm wrong, wrong
I don't wanna be right, right
If you tell me I'm wrong, wrong
I don't wanna be right
[2x]

The final verse is telling. Nico and Viz are alluding that the forces of evil have now not only taken hold but embedded themselves in their belief systems. They are reciting this to the woman who is causing these thoughts. In Macbeth, Lady Macbeth encourages her husband to become more evil, and to murder Duncan. She succeeds, making Macbeth more bloodthirsty and ambitious than ever. He wants to see the witches' predictions come true, so he no longer has a desire to be morally right.

Am I wrong
For thinking that we could be something for real?
Now am I wrong
For trying to reach the things that I can't see?

But that's just how I feel,
That's just how I feel
That's just how I feel
Trying to reach the things that I can't see

So am I wrong (am I wrong)
For thinking that we could be something for real?
(oh yeah yeah yeah oh)
Now am I wrong (am I wrong)
For trying to reach the things that I can't see?
(oh yeah yeah yeah yeah)

But that's just how I feel,
That's just how I feel
That's just how I feel
Trying to reach the things that I can't see

Coincidence or not? I'm by no means a Shakespeare expert, but there are a few too many parallels to happen by chance if you ask me. What do you think?

No comments: