Tuesday 4 December 2018

Saddleworth Santa Dash 2018



500 Santas squash themselves into a sea of red on Uppermill's main road, all facing the inflatable start point, some doing a two step, most of them wearing their registration number on their chest. I forgot mine, of course, but I've pulled out an old Christmas t-shirt from my days working in Walkabout. It has a kangaroo with reindeer antlers jutting out of its head, underneath which is the phrase WE WISH ROO A MERRY CHRISTMAS.

It's 1st December, and the Saddleworth Santa Dash is about to begin, a 5K stomp through the wilderness of Oldham's countryside. I've been training for it, but my insistence at drinking as often as possible over the last month has undermined my efforts.


Considering it's a hilly course and I'm hardly in good shape, my 31 minute time is suspiciously good. I'm wondering if I got lost or something. I'm sure I followed everyone else, most of whom flew past me.

Shout out to organisers Saddleworth Round Table. Good show. I'll probably try again next year.

First medal I've received

No comments: