Sunday 25 October 2015

Skinny Beef Lasagne

Rumack: What was it we had for dinner tonight?
Elaine Dickinson: Well, we had a choice of steak or fish.
Rumack: Yes, yes, I remember, I had lasagna.

-Dr Rumack (Leslie Nielsen) discusses his dietary decisions in Aiplaine! (1980).

This week I cooked Skinny Beef Lasagne, from the Hairy Dieters cookbook, for a bring-and-share in work. The writers cut down the recipe's calorie count by replacing pasta strips with layers of boiled leek. We were to use the inside sections of the leek, and to get at these layers the recipe asks to cut the leek length-ways from the top to the middle and split it open. I may have cut these a bit too far, meaning that the remainder of the leek (used further on in the recipe) wasn't substantial, but it was all fairly straightforward otherwise.

I thought it tasted great, and people in work seemed to like it. Not many people ate it in work though, and unlike the last 2 times I've brought food in I got no marriage proposals. There was a LOT of food on offer though.


 


Why have I not used a book stand when cooking before? It was a great help.






No comments: