Saturday 24 March 2018

Does Online Shopping Build Confidence?



Ebay. Amazon. ASOS. We're all familiar with the concept of online shops, be it the overarching aforementioned brand names or smaller niche shops that you stumble across when you're Googling a specific product. For example, I once bought MMA ear protectors (to stop the build-up of cauliflower ear during grappling) from an MMA shop specifically selling martial arts training gear. The rise of internet shopping might be a normal part of our lives now, but how would this build confidence?

There's two types of internet purchase. There's the type that you can get at any time. Want to do a Tesco shop? It's there for you, and if they usually have something (sweet potatoes, for example) they'll- more often than not- have some in supply. Then, there's the short-term offer. A store might have a supply of a certain signed book, or a fashion item of which they have 20 pieces. These will sell, and- importantly- they might not be restocked.

Let's say you go onto ASOS and you see a jacket you like. You can put it in your saved items, along with any other product you like the look of. Maybe you'll buy it later, you think. You carry on browsing, and then the rest of life- work, sleep, family- takes over and you forget to actually make the purchase. You come back the next day, and guess what? They've sold out. They've only got a couple in but they're two sizes up from yours. Why didn't you just buy it when you had the chance?

Because you didn't act.

Perhaps, like me, you're a hesitant, non-impulsive individual. You weigh things up a lot. You overthink, instead of acting immediately. For me, this is a confidence issue. I've noticed this with ASOS, but more recently I've discovered Depop. Depop is a mobile phone app that I would describe as being a mix of Amazon and Instagram. It's a platform for people to show off what they are selling, and a place for buyers to find mostly second-hand fashion items. I've been looking for Saucony trainers for a while, but every pair I've seen in store have been extortionate. Hence, why not buy a pair second-hand?

I started using the app to look for size 9 Men's Saucony trainers. I filtered the results to get exactly these specifics, and then I 'liked' a few of the results (there are 'like' and 'save' functions- as of yet I'm not sure the difference). Within days, a few of these showed up as 'sold,' with SOLD written across the picture for emphasis.

I spotted a pair of these Grid 9000 'Halloween Pack' running shoes. I've used this brand before and they were great for fitness, but I particularly like the colours on these.


Typically, though, I put them in my Liked list, and soon enough someone bought them. There are other size 9 Saucony shoes on the site, but none as cool as those.

I didn't act. I ummed and ahhed, and I lost them. This problem I have with internet shopping, and with my own ability- or inability- to act fast. My hesitancy is possibly the biggest problem in my life. I lose opportunities with jobs, with clothes, with women- pretty much every area of my life is tainted. It's time for me to be a little bit impulsive- to throw myself into things and figure them out as I go along.

In Arnold Schwarzenegger's autobiography, Total Recall: My Unbelievably True Life Story, he ends the book by listing his rules for living a successful life. Quote:

2) Don't overthink. If you think all the time, the mind cannot relax. The key thing is to let the mind and the body float. And then when you need ot make a decision or hit a problem hard, you're ready with all of your energy... Back in 1980, when Al Ehringer and I wanted to develop a block at the end of Main Street in Santa Monica, the investors we were bidding against for the property let their worries hold them back... We didn't dwell on challenges but the rival bidders did... they dropped out while we raised our bid, and we got the property... Within 2 years we were able ot convert the lease into a purchase, and our gamble started to pay off; 3100 Main Street turned out to be a phenomenal investment... If you freeze, you lose.

Arnie and Al saw their opportunity and acted immediately, with the intention of sorting out any problems later on.

Let's say you spar in boxing or MMA. Step forward and throw the first punch. Be offensive, not defensive. Let's say you're in a bar and you spot someone you want to talk to. Do it. The worst that can happen is that they are an arsehole, and that's a reflection of them, not you. (Although, it's easier said than done.)

Acting quickly may result in problems, but hesitating ALWAYS will, so bear this in mind when you're facing a challenge- but at least take this route with internet shopping first.

No comments: