Sunday 10 March 2019

Liverpool Comic Con

I don't know whether you've ever tried driving into Liverpool on a Saturday morning, but yesterday I did, and that was one of the most stressful experiences I've ever endured. This was made worse by the last-minute realisation that there was an error on some of my paperwork- The email confirming a photograph opportunity was missing the actual ticket needed for proof at the event. I screenshotted my bank statement showing the payment.

Eventually I managed to find a car park about a mile away, and had the wisdom to not just take pictures of the area and try to 'drop a pin' on Google maps, but to write down in a notebook exactly where I'd left my car. There was no way my Xperia X battery was going to make it to the end of the day.

Eventually, though, I found the venue and made it inside.



I asked the stewards about the photo opp I'd paid for. The photoshoot I paid for was Burt Young, Paulie from the Rocky franchise and Joe from Once Upon a Time in America. Mr Young wasn't sitting for photos until 11:45, so I had 45 mins to sort out the situation. Nobody seemed to know what I should do but the consensus was that it'd probably be fine. And yes, the steward checking the tickets was understanding, even though my name wasn't even on the list.

I told Mr Young that Once Upon was the best film ever made. He seemed to nod in agreement.


I wasn't prepared to shell out for the Dean Cain / Teri Hatcher photoshoot, but was hoping to meet the two New Adventures of Superman stars at their tables. I queued up for ages hoping to pay for a quick selfie with each, but the steward told me it was autographs only. Pics had to be professional. So instead I waited 'til later and snapped a few zoomed-in shots during their Q&A.


I wish I'd shelled out for Adam Baldwin.He was great as Mother in Full Metal Jacket. Most of the other stars were Twilight or Power Rangers actors: generally people I don't know from Adam (biblical, at least). I mingled for a little but then decided to head off.


 
Delorean

The Bridgekeeper and The Knight who Says Ni from Monty Python and the Holy Grail (cosplay, obviously)

Predator


A-Team van


HEY YOU GUUUYYYSS


Bill Duke (Mac from Predator) was booked, but had to cancel. This lineup sheet left on a table still has him listed.

The sports almanac from Back to the Future Part II




R2D2

Pimp stormtrooper?

I honestly don't know who this is supposed to be. Mexican Daffy?

Robin Reliant from Only Fools and Horses. Perhaps authentic. Some of the cast were there too.

Of course, finding my way back to the car was another tense journey through Liverpool's urban regeneration area, during which time my battery died and I had to ask about 20 strangers if they knew where this Moda development was.


(Nobody did, not even the Scousers. In fact, half the people I spoke to weren't even from Liverpool, and weren't Comic Con attendees.)

So, yeah, an enjoyable day but excruciating getting to and from the venue.

No comments: