Saturday 27 April 2019

Yes, well... and here we go again.

View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Matt Tuckey (@matttuckey) on

I was talking to a doorman friend on Deansgate a while ago about nutrition, and about how to stop eating junk food. “Just think,” he said, “you put it in your mouth, and it tastes good for a couple of seconds, and that's it. Is it really worth those few seconds of pleasure for what it does to you?”

He's right- I'm scratching around for things that I like, and finding giant bars of Galaxy chocolate. How embarrassing. It really isn't worth it.

Instead, I've got Netflix (I'm late to the party but Breaking Bad is incredible) and loads of books to read. I've got my friends, and the city of Manchester. I've got the gym. These are all neural pathways- routes in my brain for finding pleasure. There's plenty out there to enjoy, and no reason to binge on one thing, especially not one that has robbed me of a six-pack for the last 9 years.

So. Here we go again. I'm busy with the move (as mentioned yesterday) but I'm not going to slip this time. I'll get in gym sessions where possible, but I won't get my enjoyment from food- I'll get it from wherever else, and meanwhile I'll get in as much veg as possible. I should open a cookbook for once, too.

I was 86.3kg on Tuesday. I want to be 79. And I want to fit into my suit trousers again. I've already cut out junk food, and I'm not even missing it this time. I broke the clean-eating habit when I went for cocktails in Tattu a while back, and only 1 mate (out of fucking 10 down to come) turned up. I'm not going to be let down by the meetup scene any more. I might drop into other people's events but I'm not putting any up myself for the foreseeable.

I might beat some PBs at the gym along the way, but I'm not putting them as my specific goals, meaning I can mix in rope flicks, burpee chinups, box jumps and bag work along with the likes of chest press and leg press, with which I have got PBs.

No comments: