Monday 19 August 2019

Join this Northern Quarter Bar Crawl!


I finished reading Michael Wolff's hit political expose Fire and Fury last week. The bestselling book on Donald Trump's chaotic first few months of his presidency details the run-up to his election, his inauguration (which Bush Jr described as 'some weird shit'), and the chaotic settling-in period, in which we're reminded of all these now long-gone relics of his White House Starter-Pack: Hicks, Bannon, Flynn, Ailes (not only a former Employee of Trump, but also now dead)- it's bizarre how many high-ranking staff members Trump disposed of, but more so that this happened so frequently that I'd forgotten these names until I started reading.

Wolff, too, brings fury to the book- his understandable disgust in Trump's presidency cracks on every page, but this does come with a writing style so obtuse and highbrow that you need Google at your side. Dictionay.com won't always offer suggestions, and Google, in these instances, tend to reference the book's use of these words, highlighting their obscurity.

There is a follow-up book, Siege: Trump Under Fire. I've not heard much about this. If I find it in a charity shop massively reduced, as I did with Fire and Fury, I might make a purchase.

What are you doing on Saturday night? Last year I ran a meetup to a few bars around the Stevenson Square area, and it went down a treat, with around 15 people showing up. A lot of the bars were full, so the plans chopped and changed, but the Northern Quarter area has no shortage of bars, and we had no other problems getting in anywhere.

I've been meaning to run this night again, but one thing or another has got in the way. This Saturday I've managed to get it boxed off. Come down to Flok and meet me and the group at 9pm!

No comments: